Melissa Krasnow is a Partner at VLP and serves as a member of its Marketing Committee. She practices in the areas of domestic and cross-border privacy and data security, technology transactions, and mergers and acquisitions. Melissa is a prominent national and international speaker and author and is mentioned in media.
Melissa advises companies on privacy and data security matters and the emerging area of cyber governance, including responding to data breaches and data incidents (HIPAA, FERPA, financial services regulatory and PCI DSS), preparing written information security programs, devising incident response plans and facilitating and participating in tabletop exercises. She also counsels boards of directors and executive officers on privacy and data security risk oversight and developments and reviews cyber liability insurance policies.
Melissa advises companies on responding to regulatory inquiries and complying with state, federal and international privacy and data security, advertising and marketing, governance and compliance and regulated industry laws. She prepares website and mobile application privacy policies and other privacy and data security, advertising and marketing and technology policies.
In the technology transactions area, Melissa works together with companies on negotiating and documenting technology and commercial transactions, including cloud services, security services, commerce and payment services, email and text message services and telecommunications.
In the merger and acquisition area, Melissa counsels companies on privacy and data security matters and on foreign investment filing obligations.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 1992
- A.B., Wellesley College, 1989, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa and Durant Scholar
- University of British Columbia, visiting student, 1987-1988, Class 1 Standing
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer, Pro Bono Service, 2014 and 2015
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Quoted in Law360 Article “FTC’s Smart-TV Privacy Settlement Unlikely to See an Encore”
(Feb 7, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Quoted in San Francisco Chronicle Article “FamilyTreeNow Shreds Privacy, But Founder Remains Elusive”
(Feb 6, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Authors International Risk Management Institute Article “Cyber-Security Event Recovery Plans”
(Feb 1, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Co-Authors Two Resources for Thomson Reuters Practical Law: “Written Information Security Programs: Compliance with the Massachusetts Data Security Regulation” and “Written Information Security Program (WISP)”
(Jan 25, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Authors Bloomberg BNA Article “Developments in Director Oversight of Cybersecurity Risk”
(Jan 9, 2017)
- VLP Partners Melissa Krasnow and David Goldenberg Featured in Minnesota Lawyer Article “Firm Has No Offices But a Big Platform”
(Jan 5, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Authors International Risk Management Institute Article “Guidance on Ransomware”
(Jan 4, 2017)
- VLP Partner Melissa Krasnow Quoted in Law360 Article “Privacy Legislation and Regulation to Watch in 2017”
(Jan 2, 2017)
- Technology Conference: Implementing Tomorrow’s Technologies Today (June 2017)
- The Increasing Risks of Ransomware: What Your Business Needs to Know and Do, The Knowledge Group webinar (April 2017)
- Breach Notifications: How to Handle Breaches Across Jurisdictions, LegalTech News/Epiq Systems webcast (February 2017)
- Business Law Series: Advising the Board of Directors on Privacy and Data Security (February 2017)
- What Do CISOs Want Lawyers to Understand about Cybersecurity?, Minnesota CLE Privacy & Data Security Legal Conference, Minneapolis, MN (January 2017)
- Canadian Privacy Law, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP Midwest Privacy Retreat (November 2016)