Mark D. Taylor is the establishing Partner in VLP’s Bankruptcy Practice Group.
With 25 years of bankruptcy experience, Mark has been involved in all types of Chapter 11 cases, including free-falls, pre-packs, pre-negotiated, liquidations and structured dismissals. He has represented debtors, Chapter 7 and 11 trustees, official committees, secured and asset-based lenders, special servicers, indenture trustees and insurance companies.
Mark is a Certified Fraud Examiner and a Certified Information Privacy Professional. He has led investigations of financial statement fraud and asset misappropriations, including tracing and asset repatriation and of other corporate governance issues.
While serving as a Chapter 11 trustee of one of the nation’s largest credit counseling agencies, he marketed, negotiated and sold an ongoing operation consisting of over 60,000 consumer contracts. Working in close conjunction with the FTC and state regulators, he established notice and consent procedures that protected the consumer’s sensitive personally identifiable information and gave consumers an opt-out right.
Mark also has represented dozens of health-care entities, including SNFs, ALFs, CCRCs, LTACs and others, in restructurings, section 363 sales, out of court sales, workouts and liquidations.
Before joining VLP, Mark practiced at Kilpatrick Townsend, where he was a partner in the firm’s Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring Practice Group.
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Aldon J. Anderson, United States District Court Judge, Utah, 1992-1993
- J.D., University of Utah College of Law, 1991, Order of the Coif, Law Review, Clyde Fellow
- B.A., Boise State University, 1981, magna cum laude
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell® Judicial AV Preeminent™
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, 2008-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy Litigation 2019
- Super Lawyers®, Washington, D.C., Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2012-2018
- America’s Most Honored Professionals – Top 1% (2016)
- Avvo.com®, Superb, 10 of 10
- Washingtonian, Top Lawyer in Bankruptcy Law, 2007, 2010, 2011
- Chambers USA, 2009-2014
- Legal Elite, 2012-2013
- Represent clients in defense of avoidance actions, including preferences and fraudulent conveyances
- Represent commercial real estate clients in preparation of deal specific non-consolidation or true sale opinions
- Represent commercial real estate clients in foreclosure, work out, and bankruptcy issues, including stay relief, section 363 sales, and confirmation
- VLP Partner Mark D. Taylor authors Inside Counsel article, “Baker & Botts: Efforts continue to define its scope.”