Mark D. Bradford is a partner at VLP. He specializes in executive compensation, equity compensation, and employee benefits for clients ranging from start-ups to emerging growth public companies. He also represents individual executives in negotiating employment agreements, terminations and severance, and entire management teams in significant M&A transactions.
Mark has over 16 years of experience as an executive compensation and employee benefits attorney. In over 200 cross-border and domestic M&A deals, he has represented buyers and sellers, with transactions ranging in size from a $1 million acquihire to a $7 billion sale of a major client. In connection with these transactions, Mark has negotiated and drafted deal-related agreements, including employment, incentive, retention, severance and non-competition, and worked on post-closing integration matters. He has also worked with more than 35 companies on compensation matters arising out of their initial public offerings.
Mark has drafted hundreds of executive employment, equity and cash incentive, change in control, retention, and severance plans and arrangements for emerging growth companies. He brings a wealth of experience and perspective regarding the culture and business needs of Silicon Valley companies when providing counsel to in-house legal, human resource, finance, tax, and stock administration professionals.
Prior to joining VLP, Mark was a senior associate with Gunderson Dettmer LLP’s Executive Compensation Group. Prior to Gunderson, he was an associate with Cooley LLP’s Compensation & Benefits Group. Mark began his career in the area of executive compensation and employee benefits at Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison LLP where he was an associate in the Executive Compensation, Employee Benefits and Taxation Group.
- LL.M., Boston University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program, 1995
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1994
- B.A., Economics and Political Economy of Industrial Societies, University of California at Berkeley, 1990
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Authors “Incentivizing the Executive Team Before an IPO or Sale,” for The Entrepreneur’s Roadmap, a Publication of the New York Stock Exchange (June 2017)
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Quoted in American Banker Article “How Wells Fargo Could Overcome a Shareholder Revolt” (April 17, 2017)
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Quoted in Inside Counsel Article “Will President Trump Amend Dodd-Frank?” (Jan 24, 2017)
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Quoted in Inside Counsel Article “How 5,000 Wells Fargo Employees Got Away With Opening Over 2M Accounts” (Oct 21, 2016)
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Authors Law360 Article “Where Were Wells Fargo’s Senior Management and Board of Directors?” (Oct 16, 2016)
- VLP Partner Mark Bradford Quoted in The Washington Post Article “The Unusual Change Wells Fargo Made to its Board as it Tries to Move Beyond the Fake Accounts Scandal” (Oct 13, 2016)
- Designing and Implementing an Effective Executive Compensation Plan: Your Guide for 2017 & Beyond, The Knowledge Group webinar (October 2017)
- Panelist, “Cofounder Legal Challenges and Solutions,” Silicon Valley Cofounder Academy (November 2016)
- Are You Ready For Section 409b? New Legislation Threatens Dramatic Changes to Most Compensation Arrangements
(Nov 8, 2017)
- Will Traditional Stock Options Remain A Lure for Startup Employees?
(Sep 20, 2017)
- It’s Time for Companies to Start Preparing for Tax Time: Annual Reporting Requirements Applicable to Equity Awards
(Jan 27, 2017)