David J. Thibodeau is a Partner in VLP’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. His practice emphasizes the building and refining of patent portfolios, strategic advice concerning competitive IP rights, and due diligence for technology-based financial, merger/acquisition and other business transactions. David most often handles prosecution matters before the United States’ and foreign patent offices, but he has also successfully concluded litigations and other disputed matters. He regularly works with company founders, investors, engineers and scientists across the information technology industry in areas such as data storage, database systems, financial services, social media, network security, medical devices, semiconductors, optics, signal processing, and antennas.
Before joining VLP, David was a partner at several IP law boutique firms and General Counsel of AirNet Communications, a venture funded start-up in the wireless infrastructure industry. He has developed many patent portfolios leading to significant license revenue and/or client acquisitions, including a billion-dollar initial public offering of a Massachusetts database technology company, and representation of a New Hampshire information technology start up during their billion-dollar private acquisition.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, David was an engineer at IBM and Sanders Associates (now a subsidiary of BAE Systems), developing digital signal processing algorithms for the financial services and defense industries.
David has repeatedly been recognized by his peers as Best Lawyers in America for the area of patent law.
- J.D., Suffolk Law School, 1985, Cum Laude, Phi Delta Phi
- B.S. Electrical Engineering,1978, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, High Distinction
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America in the area of Patent Law (2015-2018)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Authors IPWatchdog Article “Do Recent Decisions Signal a Change in Patent Owner’s Rights to Defend and Amend Claims in Post-Grant Proceedings?”
(Feb 7, 2018)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Quoted in the Law360 Article “Recent PTAB Decisions Attorneys Should Know”
(Jan 30, 2018)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Authors IPWatchdog Article “Why SAS Institute Matters More Than Oil States”
(Nov 9, 2017)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Quoted in Bloomberg Law Article “Seven Patent Petitions Queued Up for Supreme Court’s New Term”
(Sep 29, 2017)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Quoted in the Law360 Article “Patents Are Surviving Challenges Under Alice More Often”
(Sep 25, 2017)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Co-Authors IPWatchdog Article “Crossing the Chasm: Avoiding and Surviving the PTAB”
(Sep 14, 2017)
- VLP Partner David Thibodeau Quoted in the Law360 Article “Fed. Circ. Criticism Trains Spotlight On PTAB Procedures”
(Sep 1, 2017)
- “After The Term Sheet – Do You Own Your Intellectual Property?”– VLP Webinar, November 2017
- “Patent Claim Strategies in Light of Alice v CLS Bank,” Boston IP Inn of Court, 2016