Based in San Francisco, Timothy R. Bowers is VLP’s Managing Partner and a seasoned corporate lawyer who represents a diverse group of clients in a variety of corporate and transactional matters.
On the company side, Tim represents emerging growth businesses throughout their life cycles, from formation to exit. His clients typically operate in the software, hardware, fintech, edtech, cleantech, artificial intelligence, gaming, life sciences, food, fashion, retail and media spaces.
Tim regularly handles a wide range of capital-raising transactions for his clients, including early-stage angel and seed financings, convertible debt, SAFEs, bridge loans and venture capital preferred equity rounds. He also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to documenting and negotiating complex strategic exits for his clients, including mergers, acquisitions and asset sales, often involving a combination of equity and cash consideration. In addition, Tim acts as a key, day-to-day advisor to his clients, providing frequent guidance on strategic matters as well as guiding them through their more routine legal needs related to corporate governance, securities law compliance, commercial contracts, employee and consultant engagements, intellectual property assignment and non-disclosure agreements, equity compensation and director and officer fiduciary duties.
On the investor side, Tim represents venture capital funds and high net worth individuals in their investments in businesses operating in the same spaces as Tim’s company-side clients.
Tim began his career as a capital markets attorney at Sidley Austin LLP in New York, primarily representing large public companies and investment banks in debt and equity financings and advising on corporate governance matters, including 1934 Act compliance. Before joining VLP in 2013, he spent many years at K&L Gates LLP as a business transactional lawyer where he regularly advised private equity funds in financial acquisitions of controlling interests in portfolio companies.
Tim is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and Villanova University School of Law, where he served as an editor of the Villanova Law Review.
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 2001, Outside Articles Editor, Villanova Law Review
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1998
- VLP Partners Timothy Bowers and David Jargiello Featured Guests on Virtual Lunch Series
(Aug 2, 2021)
- VLP Managing Partner Timothy Bowers Featured in True Tales from the Virtual Trenches Podcast
(Apr 28, 2021)
- VLP Managing Partner Timothy R. Bowers Featured in the Daily Journal’s article, “Forced remote work led to virtual firms’ hiring boom”
(Dec 17, 2020)
- VLP Attorneys Timothy Bowers and Cara Hupprich Coauthored an Article Entitled “New Shareholder Proposal Rules Balance Interests Against Cost” in the Daily Journal
(Oct 15, 2020)
- VLP Managing Partner Timothy R. Bowers Interviewed by The Lawyer Whisperer
(Aug 18, 2020)
- VLP Managing Partner Timothy R. Bowers Featured on the Legal Toolkit Podcast
(Jul 22, 2020)
- VLP Partner Timothy Bowers Quoted in Law.com article “Remote Work Is Stressing Lawyers Out. Here’s How to Help Them”
(Jul 9, 2020)
- VLP Attorneys Timothy Bowers and Lauren Bittle Coauthored an Article Entitled “SEC Amendments to Financial Disclosures Changes Save Money at Expense of Investors” in the Daily Journal
(Jun 18, 2020)
- VLP Law Group LLP Managing Partner Timothy R. Bowers Featured on Hsu Untied Podcast
(May 14, 2020)
- VLP Managing Partner Timothy R. Bowers Published “Covid-19 Has Forced Companies to Implement Virtual Workplaces – How to Do It”
(Apr 2, 2020)
- VLP’s Managing Partner Timothy Bowers Quoted in Law.com Article “System Error: The IT Issues Plaguing Attorneys’ Transition to Remote Work”
(Mar 20, 2020)
- VLP Managing Partner Featured in Law360 Article, “Law Firm Leaders: VLP Law Group’s Timothy Bowers”
(Mar 19, 2020)
- VLP Attorneys Timothy Bowers and Andrew Dixon publish column with TechCrunch Entitled “Negotiating for Better Stock in Equity-Funded Acquisitions”
(Jan 6, 2020)
- VLP Attorneys Timothy Bowers and Andrew Dixon Coauthored a Column Entitled “The Essential Role for Seller’s Counsel in M&A Negotiations” in the Daily Journal
(Nov 8, 2019)
- VLP Partners Timothy R. Bowers and Michael L. Whitener Co-author Inside Counsel Article “9 Things Employers Should Consider When It Comes to Telecommuting”
(Mar 30, 2015)
- VLP Corporate Practice Continues to Grow on East Coast with Addition of Timothy R. Bowers
(Oct 1, 2013)
- Featured Guest, Virtual Lunch Series Podcast (May 14, 2021)
- Featured Guest, True Tales from the Virtual Trenches Podcast (April 28, 2021)
- Featured Guest, Legal Toolkit Podcast (July 22, 2020)
- Featured Guest, Hsu Untied Podcast Interview Series (May 14, 2020)
- Guest Speaker, Startup Law 101 Series, Vault Innovation Academy, The Vault San Francisco (December 13, 2017)
- Guest Speaker, Legal Issues in New Venture Formation, UC Davis Graduate School of Management (March 7, 2016, November 18, 2016)
- Organizer & Panelist, Building Businesses Buyers Love to Buy (March 8, 2011)