Melody Torbati is a Partner and a member of VLP’s Technology Transactions Practice Group. Her practice is focused on business transactions involving the licensing, distribution, development and transfer of technology, content and other intellectual property.
Melody counsels clients ranging in size from emerging phase companies to public companies in a wide variety of industries, such as healthcare, telecommunications, Internet content distribution, web security, mobile device management and film production. Melody regularly negotiates software licensing and SaaS agreements for clients on either side of the transaction. Many of the transactions that Melody has worked on involve implementation of information technology systems and data transfers, and outsourcing of major business functions of a company. She also has extensive expertise in general commercial agreements such as sourcing transactions, distribution transactions, strategic alliance transactions and joint venture transactions.
Prior to joining VLP Law Group, Melody was a member of the Technology Transactions Group of Morrison & Foerster for thirteen years. While at her former firm, she worked directly with CEOs, Vice Presidents, COOs and other executive team members of companies of various sizes, gaining valuable insight into the business issues that are essential to companies in widely varying industries.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 1997, Southern California Law Review, Norma Zarky Award for Excellence in Entertainment Law
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1994, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- VLP Partner Melody Torbati featured in Los Angeles Business Journal “Work/Life” Column
- Licensing Forum, New Matter (the official publication of the Intellectual Property Section of the California State Bar) — 2010 Issue 2 – Volume 35, Number 2 (http://ipsection.calbar.ca.gov/Publications/NewMatter.aspx)
- Speaker at DCIA’s P2P & CLOUD MEDIA SUMMIT, May 6, 2010