David Jargiello is a Partner and Chair of the Professional Responsibility and Risk Management Practice Group. He also serves as the firm’s General Counsel. David is a business transactional lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience in San Francisco and Silicon Valley primarily representing venture capital funds, professional services firms and legal technology companies in complex corporate finance, corporate securities, fiduciary duty, and risk management matters. David was instrumental in working with VLP’s founders in the structure and formation of the firm in 2008, and is among the most experienced law firm general counsel in the country. He writes, speaks and consults frequently on the spectrum of professional and business matters that confront lawyers and law firms, and is a former member of the State Bar of California’s Committee on Professional Liability Insurance and Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct. Since 2009 David has personally staffed a confidential hotline service for law firms with primary professional liability coverage led by Beazley Group, a leading LPL insurer with clients that include more than a third of the AmLaw 200.
In addition to practicing law, David is a Lecturer at the University of California Berkeley School of Law (where he teaches Professional Responsibility), Stanford Law School (where he teaches Professional Responsibility), and at the Golden Gate University School of Law (where he teaches Entrepreneurial Finance). He is also a Venture Partner at Flywheel Ventures, a seed and early-stage venture capital firm headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Prior to joining VLP, David was in private practice in his own platform in Palo Alto and, before that, as a Shareholder and General Counsel of Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe. He was also a Shareholder and General Counsel of Venture Law Group which he joined as one of the original 14 founding attorneys from Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1989
- M.S., Stanford University, 1985, National Science Foundation Graduate Student Fellow
- B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1982
- “Report on Selected Legal Opinion Issues in Venture Capital Financing Transactions,” Executive Editor (2009)
- Speaker, Rules of the Road for Artificial Intelligence and Legal Tech, PartnerMotion Workshop for Legal Tech Builders, March 2023 (replay link).
- Speaker, Risk Management and the Virtual Law Firm, The Portable Ethics Lawyer Podcast, December 2022 (replay link).
- Speaker, Representing Venture Capital Firms, Case Western Reserve University Veale Institute for Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Speaker Series, January 2022.
- Panelist, Corporate Due Diligence and the US Federal Securities Laws, NOVA School of Law (Lisbon, Portugal), Conference on Business, Human Rights and the Environment, November 2021 (replay link).
- Speaker, Enterprise Risk Management for Corporate Counsel, Client Webinar, June 2021.
- Speaker, Law and Entrepreneurship, Case Western Reserve University Undergraduate Remote Entrepreneurship Conference, July 2020.
- Panel Moderator, Representing Organizations and Constituents, PilotLegis Annual Meeting, Washington DC, November 2019.