Tim Lyden is a Partner in the IP Practice Group and focuses his practice on intellectual property, counseling clients across diverse industries – including life sciences, education, financial services, media, foodservice, luxury goods, and automotive among others – on the selection, protection, and enforcement of trademarks and brands, as well as the protection and enforcement of copyright and domain name rights.
From advising on filing strategy for a single application to advising on acquisition of rights in 150 jurisdictions, Tim navigates filing and commercial processes to acquire, protect, develop, and commercialize clients’ brand assets, including on the internet.
Tim develops and implements branding strategies, protecting brands through clearance, acquisition, monetizing, and enforcing rights. He also works with clients to enforce their brands against third parties, achieving commercial resolutions outside the litigation context when it meets clients’ objectives. He also appears before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition and cancellation matters, in addition to appearing before domain name arbitration panels to enforce trademark and other rights in domain names.
Tim also works with clients to protect their other intellectual property rights through copyright and other mechanisms available to do so. In addition, Tim conducts due diligence on intellectual property assets and advises on IP issues in strategic transactions.
Tim is a member of the International Trademark Association, serving currently on the Licensing Subcommittee of the Commercialization of Brands Committee. Tim is a member of the Virginia State Bar and DC Bar.
Prior to joining VLP, Tim was a Partner with Hogan Lovells as a member of its Intellectual Property, Media & Technology group and co-lead of the U.S. trademark prosecution practice. Tim received his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law, and his undergraduate degree from The College of William & Mary.
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, 1995
- B.A., College of William & Mary, cum laude, 1992
Honors & Awards
In June 2018, the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce named Tim as Executive Leader of the Year during its Outstanding Corporate Citizenship Awards ceremony, recognizing in particular Tim’s longstanding commitment to volunteer work at a local homeless shelter, his participation on the Board of Directors of Legal Services of Northern Virginia (serving as board president from April 2013 through January 2015), and his numerous pro bono representations.
- Gold ranked 2021, World Trademark Review (WTR) – DC Area (where he was described as a “wonderful and collegial lawyer” who is “absolutely outstanding at prosecution”)
- Silver ranked 2020, WTR – DC Area (where he was described as follows: “an amazing trademark lawyer and a delightful person who really cares about his clients. He is incredibly thoughtful, so if you want to put together a great global strategy for your brand, he is an outstanding choice. His technical lawyering skills are some of the best in the business”)
- Legal Elite, Legal Services, Pro Bono, Virginia Business magazine, 2008, 2010-2012, 2014-2016