Brian M. Davis is a Partner at VLP, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and former Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Brian focuses his practice on client counseling relating to trademarks, including trademark clearance and the prosecution of U.S. and foreign trademark applications. He also has experience with copyright and other intellectual property issues, such as domain name disputes (including the UDRP), licensing programs and other intellectual property-related agreements.
Brian provides strategic worldwide trademark, copyright and domain name advice for a wide variety of clients, from Fortune 500 companies to small start-up entities. During his career, Brian has represented the owners of some of the world’s best known brands in the banking, consumer electronics, home improvement, retail footwear/clothing and other industries, including Bank of America, Lowe’s, Reebok, Timberland, Rockport, Belk, Safeco, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Invesco and Assurant.
Brian is a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and has been named to various committees since 2004. He is also active with the North Carolina Bar Association Intellectual Property Section as a former Co-Chair of the Trademark and Copyright Section and as a current member of Advisory Board.
Prior to joining VLP, Brian was a Partner with Alston & Bird, and was a member of Alston & Bird’s Trademark & Copyright Group, where he served as the Practice Group Leader. Before joining Alston & Bird, Brian was an associate with Taft, Stettinius & Hollister in Cincinnati, Ohio. Brian received his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis where he was Order of the Coif and a member of Law Review, and his undergraduate degree from West Virginia University.
Brian has received recognition for his practice from several organizations including being listed in The Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2009. Further, Brian was named The Best Lawyers in America Charlotte Trademark Lawyer of the Year for 2014, 2017 and 2019 and Charlotte Copyright Lawyer of the Year for 2013 and 2021.
- J.D., Washington University in St. Louis, 1996, Order of the Coif, Law Quarterly, John J. Cummins Scholar
- B.A., West Virginia University, 1992
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2009 – present.
- VLP’s Charlotte trademark practice ranked First Tier by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”
- The Best Lawyers in America Charlotte Trademark Lawyer of the Year for 2014, 2017 and 2019.
- The Best Lawyers in America Charlotte Copyright Lawyer of the Year for 2013.
- Managing Intellectual Property Global IP Star – Trademarks 2013 – present.
- Founding Board member and Past President- Charlotte Community ToolBank.
- Pro Bono IP counsel for Behailu Academy.
- Mentor on Trademark matters at HQ Charlotte (Charlotte start-up incubator).
- VLP Webinar, “Brand Creation and Protection: An Overview of Trademark Law,” September 2018
- Carolina Patent Trademark & Copyright Law Assoc. 2016 Spring Meeting, “Trademark Basics That Are Not So Basic: Practical Tips for US and Foreign Trademark Filings”
- NC Bar Assoc. Webcast, Trademark Filing Practice: Common Pitfalls Associated with Use vs. Intent to Use, Section 44 and Madrid Applications
- Avoiding March Sadness by Brian M. Davis
(Mar 25, 2015)