Brian M. Davis is a Partner at VLP, Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Brian focuses his practice on client counseling relating to trademarks, including worldwide trademark clearance and the prosecution of U.S. and foreign trademark applications. He also has experience with copyright and other intellectual property issues, such as domain name disputes (including the UDRP), licensing programs and other intellectual property-related agreements.
Brian provides strategic trademark, copyright and domain name advice for a wide variety of clients, from Fortune 500 companies to small start-up entities. During his career, Brian has represented the owners of some of the world’s best known brands in the footwear, banking, consumer electronics, home improvement, retail clothing and other industries, including BB&T, Reebok, Timberland, Rockport, Belk, Safeco, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Lowe’s, Invesco, Assurant and Bank of America.
Prior to joining VLP, Brian was a partner with Alston & Bird, and was a member of Alston & Bird’s Trademark & Copyright Group, where he served as the Practice Group Leader. Before joining Alston & Bird, Brian was an associate with Taft, Stettinius & Hollister in Cincinnati.
- J.D., Washington University in St. Louis, 1996, Order of the Coif, Law Quarterly, John J. Cummins Scholar
- B.A., West Virginia University, 1992
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2009 – present.
- VLP’s Charlotte trademark practice ranked First Tier by U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”
- The Best Lawyers in America Charlotte Trademark Lawyer of the Year for 2014, 2017 and 2019.
- The Best Lawyers in America Charlotte Copyright Lawyer of the Year for 2013.
- Managing Intellectual Property Global IP Star – Trademarks 2013 – present.
- Founding Board member and Past President- Charlotte Community ToolBank.
- Pro Bono IP counsel for Behailu Academy.
- Mentor on Trademark matters at HQ Charlotte (Charlotte start-up incubator).
- VLP Webinar, “Brand Creation and Protection: An Overview of Trademark Law,” September 2018
- Carolina Patent Trademark & Copyright Law Assoc. 2016 Spring Meeting, “Trademark Basics That Are Not So Basic: Practical Tips for US and Foreign Trademark Filings”
- NC Bar Assoc. Webcast, Trademark Filing Practice: Common Pitfalls Associated with Use vs. Intent to Use, Section 44 and Madrid Applications
- Avoiding March Sadness by Brian M. Davis
(Mar 25, 2015)