Cathryn S. Chinn is CEO and a Partner of VLP. Cathryn is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and manages all administrative functions for the firm.
Prior to joining VLP, Cathryn was the Operating Officer for the Business Law Practice at Heller Ehrman LLP, where she provided senior management oversight for six practice groups and two industry groups. Previously, Cathryn was a founding partner and, beginning in 1998, the Executive Director, of Venture Law Group, a law firm specializing in representing technology and life sciences companies. As Executive Director of Venture Law Group, Cathryn served on the firm’s Executive Committee and had overall responsibility for firm management, including developing annual operating plans, budgeting and financial operations, IT, human resources and recruiting. Cathryn joined Heller Ehrman following the 2003 merger of Venture Law Group with Heller Ehrman.
Prior to moving into law firm administration in 1998, Cathryn practiced for over 13 years as a corporate and securities lawyer at Venture Law Group and Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati. Cathryn represented companies in the technology and life sciences industries in a variety of matters, including formation, venture capital financing, corporate partnering, public offerings, SEC reporting, mergers and acquisitions and spin-out transactions. She also represented top-tier venture capital firms and investment banks.
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 1984
- B.A., Stanford University, 1979, Phi Beta Kappa and Departmental Honors
- VLP CEO Cathryn Chinn to Speak on Panel at National Association of Women Lawyers 2016 Mid – Year Meeting & Awards Luncheon in San Francisco
(Mar 11, 2016)
- CEO Cathryn Chinn and Founding Partner David Goldenberg of VLP Law Group LLP spoke on Stanford Law School Panel Regarding Innovating the Law Firm Models
(Feb 13, 2014)
- VLP Partner Char Pagar and CEO Cathryn Chinn Quoted in Special Counsel article “Practicing in a Virtual Law Firm”
(Aug 29, 2016)