Debra A. Schiff is a Partner in the Real Estate Practice Group. Her practice focuses on commercial leasing (office and retail) with a special emphasis on high-rise developments. She has helped to develop and structure office leasing programs, guidelines and documentation for clients and projects throughout the country. She is frequently involved in complex lease restructurings and has negotiated leases with some of the largest social networking and internet companies in the U.S. Debra’s practice includes all manner of agreements relating to the management of commercial properties, including brokerage, telecommunications, garage management, vehicle charging and distributed antenna system agreements.
Debra was formerly General Counsel of the Shorenstein Company and continues to represent the company on leasing and other matters pertaining to its portfolio of first class office, retail and residential projects throughout the U.S.
Prior to joining VLP, Debra was a partner at Kennerly, Lamishaw & Rossi, LLP, in Los Angeles. Prior to KLR, Debra was with Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman in Los Angeles.
- J.D., University of California, Davis, Order of the Coif, Law Review Editor
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, Summa Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Represented Shorenstein Properties, as landlord, in connection with Twitter’s 900,000 square foot headquarters’ lease in the San Francisco Tenderloin District, which involved the conversion of the historic Furniture Mart building and adjacent office tower into first class modern office space. This lease was awarded “Winner/Best Office Lease, San Francisco” in 2011 by the San Francisco Business Times.
- Represented Shorenstein Properties, as landlord, in connection with 396,000 square foot office lease for Microsoft and 214,000 square foot office lease for New Cingular Wireless in Redmond Town Center mixed-use lifestyle center in Redmond, WA.
- Represented Shorenstein Properties, as landlord, in connection with the leasing of more than 340,000 square feet of office space in the former U.S. Postal Facility in Playa Vista, CA, that was converted by Shorenstein into a high-performance office campus (tenants: Sony, Verizon, Microsoft and Saatchi & Saatchi).
- Represented Shorenstein Properties, as landlord, in connection with Blue Shield’s 227,000 square foot headquarters’ lease (anchor tenant) in building being constructed by Shorenstein in downtown Oakland.
- Represented Disney, as tenant, in connection with its 62,000 square foot lease for a motion capture studio in Novato, CA, which lease involved converting an airport hangar at the former Hamilton Air Force Base into office/industrial use.