David Franklin is a Partner in the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. His practice concentrates on real estate transactions and land use, primarily in California and Hawaii. Dave represents clients in acquiring, leasing, financing, entitling, developing, constructing, selling and exchanging real estate. Additionally, he regularly represents clients regarding general business needs, including entity structure and formation and multi-state operations.
Dave has represented a national warehouse membership club in negotiating purchases and leases, conducting due diligence, pursuing entitlements, assessing locations, and expanding or selling more than 100 sites throughout California, Hawaii and several other western states. For this client and others, he has prepared numerous declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions for single developer projects and negotiated many reciprocal easement and operating agreements for multiple-owner developments of commercial, retail, residential and mixed-use projects, including resort communities. He also provides counsel for landowners in construction issues encountered in the course of developing their projects.
The entitlements for almost all of these projects in California include compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), including working with the client and consultants to assure benefits and mitigate impacts through project location and design, to improve job/housing balance, to reduce length and/or frequency of car trips, to implement transportation demand management programs, and to obtain government approval of new and more efficient products.
Dave’s clients’ projects frequently entail exactions and other requirements that necessitate coordination with local jurisdictions, and he has negotiated exclusive negotiating agreements, development agreements, disposition and development agreements, participation agreements, reimbursement agreements, financial incentive agreements and other arrangements with public entities throughout California.
His experience includes counseling for lenders and borrowers in loan documentations, workouts, foreclosures and portfolio management, along with syndicators and investors in the formation and assessment of real estate and business investments.
Prior to joining VLP Law Group, Dave was a partner of Dentons US LLP and its predecessor-by-merger firms McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP and Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps LLP.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1975, President, Student Bar Association
- A.B., Stanford University, 1972, Phi Beta Kappa
- Co-author, “Energy and Water Usage: The New Non-Disclosure Risk?” (October 2010)
- Co-author, “No Fees Not Feasible? Developers may be asking if government assistance is too good to be true, ” Western Real Estate Business (November 2009)
- Author, “Contracts for Sale of Real Property Void for Waivable Subdivision Map Act Condition,” California Real Estate Journal (August 10, 2009)
- Author, “Developers Beware: Development Impact Fee Deferrals Can Trigger Prevailing Wages,” (July 2009)
- Co-author, “FCC Order Preempts Landlord Restrictions on Wi-Fi Systems,” (November 2006)
- Co-presenter, “It’s a Balancing Act: Negotiating the Assignment and Subletting Clauses to Address All Interests,” ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, Phoenix, October 29, 2015
- Co-chair, Easements & CC&Rs Seminar; Presenter, “Planning Your Approach to Easements and CC&Rs,; Panel Moderator, “Working Through CC&R Issues in Mixed-Use Projects,” Law Seminars International, San Francisco, November 14, 2012
- Roundtable Leader, “Alternative Fee Arrangements: Balancing Client and Counsel Interests,” ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 27, 2012
- Roundtable Leader, “Introduction to CEQA for Non-CA or Non-Land Use Lawyers,” ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, Hollywood, Florida, October 24, 2008
- “Roundtable: Land Use Update,” Attorney Panelist, June 12, 2008
- Speaker, “Engineers & EIRs,” Consulting Engineers & Land Surveyors of California, San Francisco, November 7, 2007
- Roundtable Leader, “Legal/Feasibility Issues for Big Box Sites,” ICSC Law Conference, Orlando, October 28, 2006